Opens Thursday 25 June from 18:00 – 20:00
Concludes Thursday 23 July 2015
The gallery is pleased to announce a new exhibition in the Collector’s Room, opening Thursday evening 25 June from 18:00 – 20:00. The exhibition will be the first in Pretoria to showcase a curated selection of previously unreleased photographs from Ballen’s famous book, The Outland.
Ballen is perhaps one of the most important photographers in South Africa today. Born in 1950 New York, he has been based in Johannesburg South Africa since the early 1980’s. His book, Outland, first published in 2001 is according to Ballen, the first time he started seeing his photography as artworks. The lines separating the two practices started to blur, and his focus shifted from documenting rural dorps in South Africa to the people who actually lived there. Most of them, on the fringes of society.
He later lived in a three story building in Johannesburg, amongst a group of isolated and poor individuals. It became the foundation of his books Shadow Chamber (2005); Boarding House (2009) and Asylum of the Birds (2014). His work has exploded onto the international art market where his work is widely collected by private and museum collections. He has had several solo exhibitions since the start of 2015 at the following museums and galleries:
* Bogotá Photo Festival, Bogotá, Colombia
* CAFAM, Beijing, China
* Chazen Museum of Art, Wisconsin, United States
* Frigoriferi Milanesi, Milan, Italy
* Galerie Karsten Greve, Köln, Germany
* Galerie Rudolphe Janssen, Masks, Brussels, Belgium
* Galerie Senda, Barcelona, Spain
* Kafka House, Prague, Czech Republic
* Kyotographie, Kyoto, Japan
* La Fabrica, Madrid, Spain
* Montserrat, Barcelona, Spain
* Museu de Arte Contemporânea, Universidade de São Paulo, Brazil
* Museum of Image, Braga, Portugal
* Photoink, New Delhi, India
* Pori Art Museum, Pori , Finland
* Serlachius Museum, Mänttä, Finland
About the book
Originally published in 2001 and named Best Photographic book of the year at PhotoEspaña 2001, Madrid, Spain, a new and expanded edition of Outland, featuring 45 previously unpublished pictures from Ballen’s archive and a new essay by Elisabeth Sussman, Curator and Sondra Gilman Curator of Photography at the Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, United States, is due to be released in April 2015. The book is introduced by Peter Weiermair, former Director of the Rupertinum Museum in Salzburg, Austria and the Galleria d’Arte Moderna in Bologna, Italy.